So Mckoy has crappy skin. It is almost always red, irritated, and rashy. Our pediatrician has treated it as eczema. Finally (well I thought finally) Koy was broken into a rash all over on his 9 mo. appt. Dr. Mckenna thought it looked like a mild case of food allergies. He referred us to an allergy specialist in Ogden and we made an appt.
Two weeks ago we take Mckoy in. I think the practitioner thought we were over bearing parents. Go figure, his skin looked really good that day (it's really hit and miss). She said she would do the routine prick test and include dog since our babysitter has one. Believe it or not he is supposedly allergic to pretty much everything!
Dog, casein, egg whites, egg yolk, whole milk, peanuts, almonds, soy, Brazil nuts, and yes WHEAT. You better believe it. Luckily none of them are life threatening, he will mostly just get a bad rash. Having said that, he can eat meat, veggies, fruit, and rice based things. She said they would do a blood test in a year. Kelly was not a happy camper. He was extremely annoyed.
We went home and had him try Similac Alimentum. So I don't know how many of you out there have had to give this to your kids, but it smells like DOG FOOD and I can only imagine what it tastes like. Needless to say he absolutely refused.
After talking with some everyday parental knowledge people I decided it wasn't worth taking him off his regular formula. Especially if any of you have spent any time with Mckoy you would know what an amazing content baby he is. I came to the conclusion if the milk was really affecting him he would crave it and down it in literally 3 mins. or less, burp, and be on his merry way.
We have been doing a trial and error with the dog thing. His skin has looked so good since we went to the allergy specialist. We have taken all of his allergies out of his diet, except his formula. So far so good. We are going to be getting a second opinion in Poci. We want blood test right now to know the levels and have something to compare them to in a year. Rather than waiting for a year.
If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please LET US KNOW! We will try and keep you posted on Koy's status.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Amber I can't believe it! Poor McKoy! Hope with all of the other allergies out of the way, the formula will still be okay! If I had knowledge about any of that I would pass it on, but yeah....not much here!
That just stinks. Amazing all the things that can go wrong with these little guys huh. Hopefully he will be able to grow out of it soon. He is freaking cute though.
Post a Comment